are the safety guidelines set forth by
The Lightning Protection Institute:
the event of an approaching storm seek shelter immediately.
you are unable to find shelter in a building or
residence that is equipped with a lightning protection
system, LPI suggests following these basic safety
Stand clear from doors and windows
- Keep away from electrical equipment and appliances
including hairdryers and
- Do not attempt to unplug TV's, stereos, or computers
during a storm
- Avoid contact with sinks, faucets, baths, and
- Do not use the telephone other than for emergency
you're caught outside during a storm and unable
to reach a lightning protected building or hard-top
automobile, be careful as to where you take shelter.
Avoid areas that are higher than the surrounding
- Do not use a tree as shelter
- Keep away from metal objects including bicycles,
motorcycles, and golf carts
- Avoid standing near tall or metal objects such
as fences, poles, and power
- If you're with a group of people, spread out
- If you feel a tingling and your hair stands on
end, lightning may be about to
strike! Do not lie down or place your
hands on the ground.
remain alert to changing weather conditions!